Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Change of Heart

I have renewed faith in the kindness of strangers.

(except for Lady Box-out)

This morning a young woman got on the bus, having forgotten to inspect her wallet before boarding, stands at the machine and realizes all she has is a $10 bill and doesn't want to waste that on the $2 fare (it may not even take $10 bills, who knows?!?).

She boldly turns to the seated riders and asks, loudly, "Does anyone have change for a ten?"

I thought for sure everyone would ignore her request like we all ignore the cries for "spare change" on the sidewalks. (Admit it, we all avoid eye contact. It isn't just me.)

But, to my pleasant surprise, no less than 11 people immediately began digging in their purses/bags. Opening their hearts and their wallets to this damsel in distress.

Yes, I looked to see what dollars I had, too. I'm not THAT much of a hypocrite.

Some kind soul, clearly desirous of some good karma for the day, handed her a $5 bill and five ones. It was a kind exchange, peppered with "please" and "thank you" and just the right amount of "polite gush."

Very proud of my fellow riders.

I know you're wondering. I didn't have anything less than a $20. No really, I promise.

That's just how I roll.

No comments: