Thursday, October 25, 2007

Must be a Good One


Yep. I've lived in Chicago 7 years. I have never done this before.

Last night, on the bus (of course), I was reading my new book. It isn't even that interesting, but still.

I looked up as we turned the corner at Belmont, and knew that I had about 5 more stops.

Turned the page. Kept reading.

Turned the page. Kept reading.

Turned the page. Kept reading.

Turned the page. Kept reading.

(I am a speed reader).

Looked up and I was 5 blocks (3 stops) past my stop.

Uhhh...yeah. Pulled the cord. Laughing, mad at myself, and making a ridiculous display of shoving offending book into my bag as I descended the steps, I sheepishly got off in unfamiliar territory. Walked the five blocks south back home. Embarrassed. (Though not sure exactly WHO I was embarrassed in front of).

At least I didn't snooze through my stop, as I know one fellow Chicago commuter (who shall remain nameless) does on a regular basis. I'm too afraid of what would happen to me in public if I slept on the bus.

I'd for sure be the one that would wake up, a la frat house, with magic marker on my face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better marker on your face than the 3 guys who woke up at 9am under a blanket TOGETHER on the GA Tech Frat House steps when I rode my bike by in that race I did. Yeah, they were more than embarrassed.

Anonymous said...

how bout waking up randomly on the green line with all of your belongings still with you, but the strap of your purse cut. luckily it is wrapped around you in such a way that even cutting it, the robber can't steal it.

Anonymous said...

Try waking up with drool on your face! Not that I've done that on the bus but it seems to happen often on the plane.

Loved the toilet paper smell post.

Good blogging Colleen. My sister, Kylie, reads your blog too.

Melissa