I get pretty ridiculed at work for being from Georgia. Do I hide the fact? No. And I suppose that is my problem...
My clever colleague thinks it is hilarious to give me a lot of grief for having grown up in the south. Not only does he shout "Go Packers!" every time he sees my Georgia flag (featuring the super-G logo that resembles Green Bay), but he takes it a step further.
He manages to print out and tape every ridiculous, embarrassing, silly and totally weird news article that involves a Georgia resident on my door. Today he found one and handed it to me saying it was something I'd left on the printer.
I laughed, but secretly wondered...is this what the world thinks of us?
See his latest stabs:
Georgia woman collects outhouses.
Georgia men claim hairy, frozen corpse is Bigfoot.
Armless Georgian head-butts man to death.
(He was later cleared from murder charges—apparently the head-butting sent the victim into cardiac arrest).
I don't have a leg to stand on in defending my home state when this type of stuff continues to make national news.
As a related sidenote: with all this talk of (The Republic of) Georgia in the news, I even heard one woman on the bus say, "Wow—I had no idea that Georgia was under attack. Did they come all the way over from Russia?"
I still wasn't sure she was as confused as she apparently was. Until she kept going with, "Do you think Aunt Lynn in Atlanta is alright?"
Oh. Dear. God.
It is small comfort to know that there are idiots everywhere. Not just in my home state.

7 comments:
So right after the story about the armless man you say "I don't have a leg to stand on". Why do you hate amputees. Unintentional humor but I was laughing.
If the yankees hate Georgia so much why do all their asses keep moving to Atlanta!
As Lewis Grizzard would say "Delta is ready when you are!"
Seriously...I think their are more fat, greasy Cubs fans at a Braves game than actually in the city of Chicago. Go home sausage eaters!
P.S. Isn't Jerry Springer filmed in Chicago? Case closed!
P.S.S. The Bears suck...so does the Big Ten.
BARTMAN!!!
Let me clarify (based on the two above comments) that this post, and the articles, are not about hating Georgians. Or moving south. It is about news from Georgia being ridiculous (no more so than anywhere) and my coworker who lives here (and isn't fat or greasy, incidentally) making fun of me by pointing it out.
Just wanted to clear that up. I was more embarrassed at the news and the reputation that it gives us. If I were to write that about Chicago news and the reputation we'd get, it would be about gangs shooting kids. Sad.
Clarified?
Obviously Colleen is not a Chi-town hater, but anyone that throws verbal stones at a upstanding southern belle should not go unscathed.
It would not be (southern) gentlemanly of me to not come to the defense of an upstanding southern belle such as Colleen...a Bulldog belle at that.
Now, this is funny to me. Because it exposes just how ignorant we are as a society. And I only attributed that to some of my southern classmates in college who clearly had not been schooled on who won the Civil War (I kid you not). But now I see we "Yankees" are equally as clueless. Nice.
Interestingly, in visiting Atlanta (my hometown) this past weekend, I ended up in a discussion with someone who was defending Georgia's law allowing concealed weapons in public places. In Boston, where I've lived for the past 9 years, we openly mock such absurdity: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/gallery/081808_billboard/.
That's:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/
gallery/081808_billboard/
Post a Comment