No, I'm not wearing any silk sash across my chest, and I wasn't given a dozen roses or a tiara, but the title fits. I do love this time of year, and I have eeked out every moment of fun that I could these past few months. I'm exhausted (in the good way), broke (in the bad way) and fatter (in the reality way). But I wouldn't change a thing.
This has been a summer to remember. And, in case I can't (brain cells dead from all the fun and all), I'll recap it here. A highlight reel, as I'm known to do, of the activities since May:
Travel
- Costa Rica—a week in the sun in Central America with my boy and my girls and their boys. Beaches, wildlife, ziplining, fruity drinks, fresh fish/fruit, a private chef, lazy days at the pool, fun souvenirs and loads of laughs. What more could you ask for? Pura vida.
- Michigan—with Brett's parents living there, a friend's wedding hosted there and a camping trip up there, we've spent a lot of time (and money on the Skyway!) going back and forth five times this summer, and I have loved every minute of it. Except the traffic on 94—I'd ditch that in a Michigan Minute.
- California—went for a two day business trip, but had fun nonetheless. Finally saw the Crystal Cathedral from evangelistic fame, glimpsed Disney Land, and visited the Real O.C. For a day.
Music
- Stevie Wonder—was lucky enough to see/hear him at Taste of Chicago. What a great musical influence and kind spirit he is—I ran out and bought his Greatest Hits and recommend you doing the same.
- Symphony—heard the St. Joseph Symphony playing across the St. Joe river in Michigan during the 4th of July fireworks. Spectacular!
- Feist—went to Ravinia to enjoy her lilting voice and the gorgeous setting in Highland Park with a few bottles of wine and two amazing couples. What a night!
- Lynne Church—was treated to the solo vocals of Lynne as she sang during a wedding in Mackinac Island, and as a former member of the cast for Phantom, it truly was a treat!
- Ty Maxon—at the Venetian Festival in St. Joe, Michigan, we got to see Ty perform. What a talent! The carnies, however, were just creepy.
- Cat Power, The Raconteurs, Radiohead—saw 'em all at Lollapalooza, and they were worth the sweat, the sunburn, the crowds and the long lines. Fabulous. Especially Radiohead, during "Fake Plastic Trees" when the fireworks lit up the night.
- The Spice Girls, The Indigo Girls and Evan & Jaron—the Posse doing our renditions atop the swim-up-bar in Costa Rica was the closest I'll come this summer to seeing these shows. We're not half bad.
Parties
- Roofdecks—I have a great one, Brett's has an awesome view of Oak Street Beach and my friends Brenna and John recently renovated theirs with fabulous outdoor furniture and gorgeous wood planter boxes and furniture, so we have had several great parties looking at the few stars we can see in the city. And, trying to convince people not to throw stuff over the railing.
- Wedding Schtuff—with so many weddings comes so many parties. And celebrations. And drinks. Enough said.
- Backyards—oh, how I wish I had a backyard. My own little patch o' grass to host a great outdoor party on. Alas, I don't have one, but thank goodness I have friends that do! Granted, the one Katie and Jess had in late May, we were all wearing heavy jackets, but who's judging.
Events
- Taste of Chicago—gotta go at least once, gotta eat something greasy and fattening, and gotta buy a few overpriced beers to sip on while you navigate the crowds and people watch. I'm convinced most of America is really rude and classless, but I'm still pleasantly surprised when someone actually says "excuse me" when they slam into you and spill your aforementioned overpriced beer all down your front.
- Ravinia—how can you not enjoy sitting in a grassy lawn under a canopy of trees spotted with lampposts and twinkly lights listening to great music while munching on a fantastic picnic and sipping great wine? Yeah, didn't think so either.
- Wells Street Art Fair—one of my favorites, and this year's foreboding weather couldn't keep us from trolling Wells Street, drinking pink vodka lemonades and admiring the artwork. And the strange people. And the strange stuff people thinks is artwork.
- 4th of July and Venetian Festival in St. Joseph, Mi—both were great excuses to make the trek over to Brett's hometown along the "other side of the Lake" and enjoy a slower pace and a reunion with old buddies. And, great fireworks!
- Gay Pride Parade—this one is almost beyond description. But a must see to believe!
- Booze Cruises—we did one for Kristen's Birthday in June that had us on a 200-passenger dance-floor sporting lone-line-at-the-bar-having rocking party that took us up and down the river and out onto the lake. We sported neon jelly necklaces and basically acted like drunk 12-year olds. No one fell in, though. The other was with a vendor outing for Brett's work, and while it was more subdued (it was a 30 passenger party aboard an old guy's yacht), it was still a great view of the city at night.
- Air & Water Show—where else can you be sitting at your desk on Michigan Avenue with a wall of windows behind you showing the Blue Angels fighter jets soaring past, causing you to spill your coffee and get your heart racing? Watching the air portion from my roofdeck wasn't half bad either.
- "My Boys" Cast Party—my friend Molly works in PR for movies/tv, so we got invited to the cast party for the TBS show set in Chicago. The cast was really cool and very friendly. The only disappointment was not having Jim Gaffigan there so we could taunt him with "Hot Pocket" the whole time.
Movies
- "Sex and the City"—great!
- "Dark Knight" at IMAX—AMAZING and so cool to see so much of Chicago in it.
- Great Netflix rentals—some good, some snores
- "The Happening"—the worst movie I've seen EVER
Transportation*
- Car (own and rental)
- Bus
- Taxi
- Ferry
- Power boat
- Horse-drawn carriage
- Bike
- Plane
- Train (elevated and subway)
*If only I'd ridden a motorcycle, soared in a hot air balloon, been pushed in a stroller or chartered a donkey, I think I'd have covered them all.
Sports
- Cubs—I've been lucky enough to attend a few games this year, treated by Brett and his workplace ticket connections. This is OUR YEAR! Pass the Kosher Dogs.
- Ziplining—careening down a wire through the jungle, above the rooftops, reaching speeds of up to 60 mph over a seemingly death-defying length of nearly 2,500 feet, this was as much of an extreme sport as I can usually muster.
- Volleyball—watch one game of our volleyball team play on North Avenue Beach and you'd be hard-pressed to call it a sport. But we had a really good time, and only occasionally moaned and groaned as the other team smashed us into the sand.
- Biking—riding rented beach cruiser bikes the 8-mile trek around Mackinac Island in northern Michigan was well worth the $5/hour and the sore butt the next day.
- Canoeing—you've already been treated to my take on the canoe experience, but let's just say that I'm lucky I didn't end up with a broken rib or an oar to the head.
- Cornhole—a Midwestern game and I love it. If I went to the Olympics tomorrow, I'd be a contender.
- Ladder Golf—I only recently got turned on to this game, but it is a blast on the beach. Just look out for flying balls on rope.
- College Football—ok, so it hasn't started yet, but our trash-talking about the pre-season rankings is anything but sportsmanlike. I have remained somewhat quiet about our #1 ranking in all three recognized pre-season polls (so much for subtlety) but come August 30, we'll see how it goes.
So there you have it. My summer in a nutshell. Well, more precisely, a generous handful of nuts. To complete the summer sharing, here's a highlight reel of the best/funniest/worst photos that depict the above activities. These may not all be framers, but they sure make me smile.

Now it's time to enjoy the fall, which is anchored by football season and brace for winter, which is blanketed in snow.

6 comments:
Ooooh, this post was so much fun! You obviously had an amazing summer, and the pictures serve as proof. Thanks for sharing!
I'm exhausted just reading this! Nice work with another fun-festival-filled summer, Coll! Now take a nap, wouldya? ;) ~ Jill
What an amazing Summer you have had! I feel a bit like I missed out on the Summer as it flew by and I was at the track. Now it is time to catch up with the fabulous fall weather here in the ATL. Who wants to sweat at all of those fun Summer activities anyway?
I have big plans for my fall, for sure.
Next summer, can I come along for the ride?
From a fellow Chicagoan, I know you've got to take advantage of summer in the city. And you clearly take it a step further by taking advantage of summer. Period. Good for you - it's nice living vicariously a little, since so much of my summer has been sucked up with wedding plans!
I am so glad to be a part of the adventures!
I don't think I've ever seen a summer with such activity. Long live the Queen!
Post a Comment