
While standing in the elevator today, I learned something interesting. Don't say that I'm not a mobile learner, or that I've never taught you anything. Here goes. You can thank me (or argue against my point) later.
Apparently Reuters.com published a study from the University of Leicester in England that investigated the time-tested notion of "beer goggles."
Absolutely scientific, I'm sure.
After talking to 240 people ranging from 18-70, their results were published in London today. The results flew in the face of the idea that heterosexuals find members of the opposite sex more attractive after consuming large amounts of alcohol. In fact, it proved that the opposite was true—that people actually found men/women LESS attractive after drinking in pubs or bars around town.
Uhm...have these people EVER been out? More precisely, who ARE these 240 said people?
Even Wikipedia knows better. The site even boasts studies with fruit flies that supports my argument of the British study. Exhibit A: "On daily dose of ethanol, male fruit flies court male as well as female flies. This observed inter-male courtship requires dopamine transmission between neurons in the brain and is encouraged by repeated alcohol exposure."
We're not drinking straight ethanol at the local pubs, but still. I guess budget cuts don't allow the serving of chilled Stella Artois to fruit flies these days.
Let's forget "science" for now.
In terms of reality, I know that in my world, not only do OTHER people become more attractive when I'm under the influence, but I find MYSELF more attractive under those conditions, too.
I know that I've agreed to dates with people when I've met them under the influence. Upon meeting sober, for the first date, I'm not usually as impressed. They're likely not as wowed by me either, but that's besides the point.
In line with this, I also have heard countless stories from girls and guys I know about how their judgement is impaired and they drop their standards. The whole "closing time" theory. Not that a good girl like me does anything about this at 2 am, but you get the drift.
There is even a commercial for "assistance" when looking to employ the 'beer goggle technique' of mate selection. Check it out here:
Sorry if I offended anyone. I laughed out loud, personally.
So, back to the Brits.
Am I crazy here? Or is this just bollocks?
Discuss.
Over a beer, hopefully. Then we'll all find each other far more appealing.

4 comments:
I don't know if they technically appear more attractive or if we just tend not to care if they are attractive. Either way, beer goggles are no myth.
Beer: Making Ugly Babies Since 9000 BC!
--and yeah, I checked Wikipedia for that :)
Personally I find myself remarkably appealing at all times...
That being said, remind me not to go drinking with fruit flies. That shit could get awwwkward.
my wife and i have never been drunk around each other and we seem to always find each other attractive
The difference between a fox and a dog (for men)? Closing time or a 6-pack.
Mom had the beer goggles on when she met me, and look how it ended up??
Post a Comment