
She was there to tuck me in at night, reading me a story over and over.
She was there to pluck me out of the closet when I was having nightmares.
She was there to put bread bags over my tennis shoes, when Atlanta got a rare snowstorm.
She was there to make my lunches, while I ate breakfast before school.
She was there to dye the macaroni green on St. Patrick's Day, just for giggles.
She was there to drive us to Six Flags over and over one summer, so we girls could hang out all day.
She was there to take us to the mall on Saturday, to put up with our wanting and wishing.
She was there to teach us how to walk with confidence, even with a shopping cart.
She was there to coach basketball, or softball, or tennis, whatever we were playing that season.
She was there to help me pick out just the right outfit, so that she could take our photo on the first day of school.
She was there to make sure we were doing our homework, propped on our bed with a lapdesk firmly in place.
She was there to decorate my room, resplendent in Pepto-Bismol pink, because that was how I wanted it.
She was there to repair the hole in the wall after I'd slammed the door open one too many times.
She was there to let me put posters and clippings from Teen Beat and Tiger Beat and Seventeen magazine on my walls.
She was there to tell me that one day, I would grow into my height, if you know what I mean.
She was there to teach me right from wrong, but give me enough room to figure it out myself.
She was there to listen while I cried from a heartbreak, without saying that it was just puppy love.
She was there to teach me how to drive, reminding me to look in the mirrors at more than my lip gloss.
She was there to answer my questions about sex and love, even when it made her blush ever so slightly.
She was there to laugh at my jokes and put up with my stories, despite the fact that I'd lost track of the point.
She was there to witness my graduations, ceremonies and awards shows, to tell me she was proud.
She was there to cheer from the sidelines, and drive me home from the far away basketball games on Friday nights.
She was there to cry with me over romantic comedies, and Christmas commercials, in the dark of the living room.
She was there to drive me to college, setting up my dorm room and leaving me to grow up on my own.
She was there to give me the space freshman year, because she'd read a book that advised parents to do that.
She was there to support me, to teach me, to let me make my mistakes as I should.
She was there to move me into my first apartment, and my second, and my third, and my fourth...without looking back.
She was there to say goodbye, as I left my hometown for a bigger, brighter future in a new city.
She was there to listen while I sobbed after getting laid off, being dumped, or just plain hurting.
She was there to spackle, paint, refinish, tile, reorganize, decorate my new condo, even when nothing seemed right.
She was there to calm my nerves, ease my worries, comfort my doubts, just when I needed her.
She was there to remind me that being smart was more important than being pretty, that being confident was more valuable than being right.
She was there to urge me to be myself, to love me no matter what and to always answer the phone when I call.
She was there.
And, today is her birthday, and I have nothing, not enough money, not enough time, to tell her properly how much she has meant to me.
Because, like mothers should be, she has always been there.
Our relationship has ebbed, flowed and changed, and I am so thankful that we've arrived at this new place. Where we're friends, equals, partners, peers, and family.
Today, on her birthday, I celebrate my Mom. I know that I inherited a lot from her—on the outside, yes, but more importantly, on the inside where it really counts.
I love you, Mom. On your birthday, and always.
Thank you for being there.










5 comments:
And you are always there for me. I love you on my birthday...and every day.
Wow, Coll. Thanks for the walk through the memories. Love you.
So Sweet!! Happy Birthday Momma Snell!!
Great photos and such a lovely post. Happy birthday to your mom!
*sniff* What an amazing tribute to an amazing mom! Now I have to go call my mama. :o)
Post a Comment