Thursday, August 30, 2007

One Reason to Like Winter

Last night on the way home, I witnessed first-hand one reason to be thankful for winter here in Chicago.

On the bus, there was a family of 5. Four kids, all under what I would guess to be the age of 6. (Can you say handful?!?)

One of the littler ones, about 3 years old, was out of mom's line of sight. Side note: she had on an iPod and wasn't really paying much attention...

The aforementioned 3-year old started LICKING the metal pole. You know, the hang-on-while-the-bus-careens-around-corners-pole.

Made me thankful for winter.

At least then, when I'm on the bus and hanging on to the pole, I'm wearing gloves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is nothing. I apparently used to lick the moving rubber handrail on the long airport escalator when I was just tall enough to put it in my mouth. And the conveyor belt at Kroger. Somehow I survived. AND I never got sick or missed school. You do the math on that one... Lauren

Anonymous said...

gross. double gross. i can't claim you anymore as family.

Anonymous said...

I was there and saw it all...yet could not seem to stop it. Can you say "oral fixation"? Any yes, her six pounds of dirt that each child supposedly injests by age 6 had long reached capicity.

Anonymous said...

If you believe the emails, we should all be sick/hurt from riding around without helmets and munching on lead paint.