Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Headed for a Shrink's Couch


I would love to be writing a new blog post every day, telling you all the latest and greatest adventures I've been having.

But, the truth is, there is not much to tell.

Most days the greatest accomplishment I make is to actually shower before about 5 pm. And, if I watch one more HGTV show, I may start demolition in my already-remodeled kitchen, just to give me something to do.

I drag myself out of bed, eat a bowl of cereal, watch the news while I check emails, touch base with a few people, re-send emails that people are clearly ignoring, look in on LinkedIn, poke around on Facebook and talk to my Mom.

Lunchtime signals an exciting milestone, and something to do. Dishes to put away. Crumbs to clear. Trash to empty. It's bigtime!

And, then the afternoon drags.

Today, with the huge downfall of snow, I did a lot of gazing out the window, watching it pile up, amazed at how quiet the streets are when they are coated with sticky, powdery snow. With the recession at full tilt, even the snow plowers are quiet, so it took several hours before there was any city employee action on my street today.

I drive myself crazy wishing, waiting and hoping. Knowing that at this point, nothing is going to hit until January at the earliest, I've resigned myself to that fact, but now what?

Now that the presents are all bought, wrapped, nestled under the tree, photographed for my Mom, and then today, shipped to Atlanta and Tampa for their recipients' delights, now what?

I have already planned, organized, emailed, evited, and plotted some surprises for Brett's big birthday party this weekend, and all that is left is a little more surprise-making (including flour, sugar and icing), which actually may fill most of the afternoon on Friday, knowing my less than stellar culinary skills.

I'm so bored that I even put those types of activities on my electronic calendar on my phone, just so it feels like something is going on. I put "laundry" and "grocery" and "clean" on my calendar for crying out loud. The calendar that is just a wide open expanse of time.

When Brett finally gets off work, if we have plans to hang out, I drive him bonkers with my incessant chatter—realizing that the only person that I spoke to that day was my doorman, or the convenience store guy in my building, or the parking garage attendants.

Today, I found myself making small talk with the UPS Store workers just because, hey, I'd showered, and was feeling chatty.

My clothes are clean. Organized. Folded. My apartment is clean. Organized. Dusted. My Facebook profile is clean. Organized. Updated. My brain is empty.

If there was every any doubt that I'm a great project manager, communications specialist, planner, strategist, organizer and worker bee, I hope that this time (and these stories) obliterate that kernel of doubt. Because it is clear that inactivity makes me crazy.

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Oh, and the shadowed person in the building across from me that I was just certain was staring at me for upwards of 15 minutes while I made dinner tonight?

Yeah, that was an unlit Christmas tree.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should bundle your collection of blog posts and submit them to the Chicago Tribune. Or the Reader. Your anecdotes about feelings that A LOT of people are (unfortunately) experiencing right now is amazing. Maybe you could get a regular gig. Might not pay, but at least you'd get exposure. And deadlines. Wish there was something I could do or say to make it all better.

Anonymous said...

Haha! You poor thing! I do that, too, think inanimate objects are people staring at me or doing weird things. If that means you're beginning to go crazy, it also means I've been crazy for YEARS (oh, wait...)! ;o)

Sounds like you are doing everything you can to fill the time. Maybe some holiday volunteer work at a soup kitchen or humane society could help, too?

Will you be going home for Christmas/NYE? Hope you have lots of plans ahead, and that Brett's party (and his cake) is a success!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nilsa, but I would also add: make time to write every day. Maybe not just blog posts from your life, perhaps you could experiment with fiction too.

I've been there; I've had an extended period of minimal or not working. I've done what you've done - the organizing of all things within your control. Taking on new projects (paid or not) helped keep me sane.

Anonymous said...

Coming up on Lifetime. . ."Stalked by a Christmas Tree".

Today my unemployed ass is hitting the mall with Kristy. Maybe we will power walk to make us feel accomplished@

Anonymous said...

I once called the police on high seat backs in a mustang in front of my house. Yes, they were a brand new option back in the day. I was certain that those seats were casing my house!

Anonymous said...

Holy CRAP I laughed at "unlit Christmas tree."

Delightful.

Anonymous said...

Colleen, you're welcome to come over and get started on my apartment anytime. There's plenty of crap that needs to be hauled out of here, since I consider almost every scrap of paper that enters my life a Memento. The only thing is, I would also be here (writing away in my little home office), because, like you, I am Laid Off.