
In an attempt to cut costs any way possible lately, I have abandoned my brand loyalty to some key household and beauty products, just to see.
It is amazing how much more expensive the name brands are, and as a marketer, I know that most of that cost is in packaging/design, advertising and agency fees (eek!). So, I'm not a fool, I can buy the store brand and it will be just fine. Right?
Not so fast.
Do not, under any circumstances, buy generic toothpaste. I know, it sounds so sad and pathetic that I've taken to giving up my Colgate Total for the Walgreens brand, but my toothpaste was $4.99! A tube! With no free toothbrush! So, I broke down and for $1.99 got the Walgreens brand that says "Compare to Colgate Total."
Only if you have no taste buds. The stuff was more like ground up drywall.
So, that's off the list. I'll use travel tubes until I can stand another trip to Walgreens.
Body wash, however, is just soap. In a bottle. For your body. That is easy—White Rain makes a line of body washes that smell really nice and are only $1! Yes, one buck. To squirt that stuff on the loofah makes me feel like a frugal shopper.
No need to splurge on Dove or Oil of Olay or whatever fancy pants body washes they have these days. They all do the same thing, and as long as it doesn't smell like a floral garden in a nursing home, I'm game.
I've long been a fan of Excedrin Migraine (for those pesky ones that hang around for days) and it is comprised of Aspirin, Ibuprofen and a little dash of caffeine. The brand name, however, brings the total up to something horrific like $12 for the big "value size" bottle.
But, the Walgreens brand is exactly the same ingredient makeup, with no brand name (or agency, eek!) to pay off—so it is more like $4. Done.
Let's examine a few other products. Heck, chime in in the comments if you wish. Save a gal some cash!
Trash bags? Brand name only. I don't want my ooky stuff leaking all over my legs as I walk the bag down to the trash chute.
Bottled water? No thanks. I prefer tap water chilled in my Brita pitcher.
Toilet paper? Brand name only. The other stuff only belongs in a road-side gas station bathroom. Gross.
Soda? (or for my southern readers, Coke?) I'd have to say, There's nothing but the real thing, baby. Keep your Shasta and Cola away from me.
Dish soap? Generics are fine. I'm not tasting it, rubbing it on my girl parts or showering in it. It can be Housewifey Brand for all I care.
Detergent? This one is tricky. I'm hugely affected by smells, and clean laundry is one of my favorites. You can smell it now, can't you? That favorite t-shirt fresh from the dryer? It is imperative that this stuff smells good, but many brands are good. I just buy what's on sale.
But, against my better judgement, I bought some cleaning supplies at the Dollar Tree next door to my Target. Big mistake.
The "Johnny Fresh" toilet bowl cleaner smelled like a hospital. A dirty one.
The "Fabuloso!" surface cleaner smelled worse than the offending counter-top-mess that was there before. No thank you.
The "Lemon Fresh" furniture polish smelled like I'd robbed a lemonade stand and used an industrial hose to spray it all over my apartment.
Lesson learned.
Not to be generic, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
(Which is probably why my supply closet is filling more and more up with the Method products. Such delicious smells, good for me and the environment and such cool packaging. I think I'm a brand advocate. But, the stuff is pricey! I need a job to keep my closet full of their stuff.)

13 comments:
Most things I have bought generic have turned out fine. Do not buy generic mac'n'cheese. I don't even like the Kraft or Velveeta brands, but the knock offs are inedible. No generic deodorant, seriously!
Have fun pinching your pennies!! Make it into a game ... at least that is what someone else told me, but I haven't had any fun yet!
Sometimes generics are actually made by the big companies, apparently.
I have an inside source in the Canadian drug store racket, and he told me that the drugstore generic brand potato chips (which are strangely delicious) are actually made by one of the large Canadian potato chip companies.
Sneaky!
Aaaaand now I am craving chips at 9:30 am.
In tough times a girl is allowed to lean on her Method contacts, right? I mean, I'm sure they'd be happy to fill up your closet with their magic in exchange for a blog post? An article submitted to the local paper? You know, barter!
It's funny, but with clothes, I'm not a brand whore. In fact, most of my clothes are from brands I've never heard of. But my cleaning supplies and bathroom supplies? Holy crap, am I bought into the name. I think it goes back to my parents, who would buy the shitty generic paper towels and toilet paper that just don't compare to my Bounty and Cottonelle. =)
One thing that I never skimp on...Q-tips. I did once and it was like stabbing a cheap sharp stick into my ear.
I also buy generic vitamins, once a day can be expensive but the generic brand was $6 less.
Although I often buy generics, I once came home just after my housecleaner left. The generic pine cleaner I had left for her smelled so bad it reminded me of a bad gas station bathroom. I was recleaning my house before she had even cashed my check! Not much savings there...
One thing my mama taughyt me was not to skimp on toilet paper or hot dogs.
And I always, always buy generic drugs. My sister is a nurse and she advised me to just read the active ingredients on the back of the package and they're usually the same. Waldryl has gotten me through many Chicago Springs!
The Fabuloso scent makes me want to die.
Target makes a lovely generic take on the ForceFlex trash bags. I was skeptical but have been buying them for a couple of months now.
Under no circumstances, should anyone use generic aluminum foil. It is tissue paper thin and requires two or three layers for almost all cooking purposes thereby negating any savings
I am laughing out loud about Fabuloso. When we went to Mexico on our high school mission trip, that is what we used! And I have not seen (or smelled...) It since! Funny!
Rock the generic, sis. More power to you.
NEVER go cheap on Soy Sauce. It will ruin your expensive sushi. Kikkomen only.
Chiming in on TP.
Shortly after buying her first SAMS membership, my mom came home with an entire pallet of awful, generic toilet paper. This was confusing since I thought the entire purpose of buying in bulk was getting the GOOD stuff for cheap. Anyway, we endured months of wretched TP in my house. It was awful and before we allowed her to restock the TP we staged a protest that was never forgotten.
i bought the jewel brand swiffer but with the swiffer brand cloths so that saved me like 10 dollars. never substitute your food or toothpaste or anything with a flavor. unless it is actually the same product in a different package ie cheerios vs oat circle cereal.
I've learned that generic ziploc bags (at least the freezer ones) rock. And are significantly cheaper than the name brand.
I concur with Christina - generic q-tips is accidental neurological trauma waiting to happen.
Post a Comment