Sunday, December 28, 2008

Stuck in the Middle with You


I have officially published 280+ blog posts, and I can't believe it hasn't occurred to me yet to write about this yet.

Let's chalk that up to to timing, shall we?

This time of year, it is all about Christmas (or Hanukkah) and New Year's. Nothing more, nothing less.

And I get it, alright?

But, some of our parents got freaky in the months of March or April (spring fever, anyone?) and therefore, a few of us unlucky ones have a birthday that is square in the middle of the holidays.

And, don't go telling me that would be so great because:

a) you were never in school on your birthday
b) you are not working on your birthday, likely
c) all those presents at once? egad!

Because the truth is, it is hard.

As I get older (eek, it keeps happening to me!), the pain lessens, but seriously, it is tough to have a birthday that is wedged perfectly, symmetrically, evenly between Christmas and New Years.

For you geniuses, and those of you that went to Math Camp (Laura!), this means my birthday falls every year on December 28th. Three days after Christmas, and three days before New Years.

What does that mean for me?

It means that when my birthday hits, people are:
a) out of town
b) tired of eating too much fattening delicious food
c) over the whole "presents thing"
d) saving up for New Year's Eve
e) not interested in buying you a drink, they're hungover and broke
f) who are you - you're not Baby Jesus - why do I care?

So, the bottom line is this. It sucks.

And, even as I age past 30, a few birthdays past 30 that is, I still feel like it is a lousy time to be saddled with a birthday. I have never had cupcakes for the whole class on my birthday, I have never had a pool party birthday, I have never gotten to spread the gift haul out over the course of a year, I have never known what it was like not to be wedged between two more important holidays.

I will say this. As an adult, it is nice to be at home (or on vacation with my family) celebrating the "holidays" while we tack on my birthday at the end. I appreciate that. I realize it is far better than being stuck at work in an office with fake "happy birthdays" and bad store-bought cake.

I get it.

But, I urge you all (you June birthdays especially!) to recognize the hardships we late December birthdays have endured. It has been rough. Tough. Painful. Touch and go, even.

The one saving grace is this: (ok, it is a few things)
a) my Mom and Dad have always made it a big deal no matter what month it was
b) they even chose "birthday paper" instead of the leftover Christmas wrapping paper
c) they hid the birthday gifts until the morning of, to build suspense
d) I got to eat off the red "You are special today" plate every year
e) it is still in that time of year when we eat whatever we want and that includes two pieces of cake

So, I'll be ok. I'll survive. I'll even manage to make it a whole "fun day for us all" if you insist.

But, just remember. Don't ever, under any circumstances, combine gifts. Don't try to pass that off on us, we're smarter than that. It doesn't matter that you spent more this way. That whole "I thought you'd get more this way" shenanigan is not lost on us.

We know we got screwed, and you know you got off easy. Does this look like a kid who wants to be messed with?


Yes, today is my birthday, and now you feel so guilty that you're obligated to say something. Anything. Just put it in the comments and I will feel so loved.

Just don't use green or red wrapping paper when you do.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I hope it is a wonderful day, and that you know that it is all about you!

My husband's birthday is in the beginning of December, so I always give him a choice. Every year I ask him if he wants to combine Christmas and birthday and get one big gift, or if he wants me to shop for both and surprise him. He usually picks one big gift, but he can always change his mind!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I'm sending you a virtual cake with virtual trick candles that you can't blow out.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, colleen. nice shades.

Anonymous said...

Have a great day, eat drink and be merry. happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lurker, but do know that I love your blog (you are in the Beloved GOOGLE READER). All say "oooooo". Plus I'm a fellow Chicago blogger.

Anyway, I HAD to wish you a "HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" And let you know that I understand your pain. My birthday is Jan. 5th, and I still get shafted with the gifts. Plus, my birthday always seems to fall on the day Chicago wants to have a horrible blizzard. I've spent many a birthday on the couch pissed. *Shakes fists at Chicago weather*

Oh, ummm CAPRICORNS RULE

That is all.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up, seriously.
Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Preach, girl! I turn 31 in 3 days and that bitch New Year's Eve has always taken the glory from my b-day so I definitely understand where you are coming from!

I hope you have a fabulous birthday and I'm sending you lots of love, luck, health and happiness for this year!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how many times I will have to apologise for going to that disco on Dec. 27th that sent me into labor 4 weeks early! You were born to boogie...so go to it dancing queen...right into the New Year.

Anonymous said...

So, I hope that kicking G and I's booty in Cranium was the highlight of your big 3-2!

Anonymous said...

PAH-Lease Eileen. . .don't act as if you and Ron weren't high fiving about getting to claim Colleen as a "dependent" for the entire year of 1976.

Anonymous said...

I think you should just pick a day in the middle of June and celebrate your Bday on that day every year. I would show up for that party!

Anonymous said...

Liz, I was actually more excited about the tax implications than Eileen. She was just in labor, had a HUGE chest when she gave birth, would not let near them (her), so the tax stuff was my treat!!

Daddio

Anonymous said...

Oh boo, I missed your birthday! Well, I certainly hope it was happy, even if you didn't get a pool party...

You DID just give me food for thought, though. I keep telling myself I could NOT be super pregnant in the summer, but I also really don't want my kid(s) to miss out of some of the fun I got to partake in as a July baby, either. Hmmm...might need to rethink things. You may have just singlehandedly changed the course of my eventual children's lives, if you believe in astrology! ;o)~

Anonymous said...

Crap - I missed it?!?!?!

Happy Birthday! May the year ahead be the bestest one yet. And at the very least, may you look as killer now as you did when you were a tough chick in seventies sunglasses.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday ... I have been too busy celebrating Christmas and New Years to stop by.
KIDDING!!
I was in Atlanta, but Mom still refuses to get a computer at home. Apparently having her house broken into the last time she bought a computer has really scared her away from that. Go Figure ...
So anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!