
The prodigal cousin returns!
Miss Molly is coming to visit this weekend, and I can hardly contain myself. We're having sleepovers, which unlike the ones we had as kids, will include lots of wine, and I can't wait to sit opposite her on my sofa in our pjs and talk until our eyes are bleary and we deny that we're tired.
She is the reason I moved to Chicago after one fateful weekend in St. Louis, and I have so much more than just that to be thankful for because of her. I'm just a better person for knowing her, for being near her, and for basking in the glow that she radiates.
At any rate, I hope you're as blessed as I am to have an amazing (and record-book-large) extended family. I hope you, too, have a cousin that can make you laugh until wine comes out your nose, lets you cry until everything bad just goes away, convinces you that feeling that way or this way is normal and that you'll be just fine, and knocks you back with love in the kind words she'll inevitably write in the thank you note she picked out just for you.
I leave you with the above photo because it just makes me laugh. She's the little darling one on the left, and I'm the giant in back—with the bangs that start yesterday—behind my adorable sister Lauren. Can you believe I am only 15 months older than Molly??? I look like I could bop her on the head and eat her for lunch. With a side of pickles.
I think I still do. And could.

2 comments:
I have a super small family but have what you're talking about with my sister. Like, um, even though she's been married for ten years, when we're under the same roof all men are kicked out of the bed so we can have a slumber party.
I can't help but remember when your dad picked up Molly...while standing under the fan. She was so light that she just flew up and her head went into the moving fan, bopping her on the head at least 6 times before stopping; when she said "way to go uncle Ron". I still say it to him in those awkward moments. It has become part of our language.
Post a Comment