Tuesday, April 22, 2008

So Tacky


Now that the weather is warming up, and the wool coats have been (optimistically?) put away for the season, women everywhere are sporting their new spring coats. Trenches, lightweight jackets, and coats in all sorts of lovely spring colors are the new "black wool" replacement.

I have a pet peeve related to this wardrobe item. I know, I know. Who has a pet peeve about spring coats?

The peeve is actually about ALL coats, but seems like a good thing to mention now. I consider this post a favor to all females, a "do good" moment for me towards all humanity.

UNTACK the back flap. Seriously, ladies. The manufacturer puts weak string in a little X down at the bottom of the back flap to protect the flap from tearing while it is shipped, unwrapped and sold to unsuspecting women. The threads are supposed to be cut before wearing the coat. It's called a kick pleat for a reason. You should be able to kick backwards through it! (See it up there on the right? NOT tacked together. Separate.)

I can't tell you how many women are running around Chicago (and likely all across this great country) wearing the back flap still tacked down. It looks silly, MUST make it harder to walk, and doesn't show off the cute little details that make these women's coats so fashionable.

Do me (and all of your fellow ladies) a favor. Because, let's face it, men don't even notice you're WEARING a coat, much less get the minutae involved. Just UNTACK the flap before wearing it.

I have other things to be peeved about, and trust me, I'll share them with you. Until then, just consider yourself warned. I'm half tempted to go up to women I see on the street and rip the offending flaps apart.

Now THAT wouldn't win me any friends in public.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you shold go up to them and say like you're doing them a fvor "hey, you forgot to rip the thread on your split. i can just yankk that for you..."

Anonymous said...

Any advice on a cute, relatively inexpensive trench (preferrably in a color)?

Anonymous said...

I think it's even worse when a woman still has the slit tacked on the back of her skirt. I once saw a woman wearing a full-on pleated skirt with ALL of the pleats still x-ed. Lawdhelpus.

To follow up on Monica's suggestion, I think that a sneaky little pair of fingernail scissors may be the accessory du jour. You could seriously snip without anyone knowing.

Anonymous said...

Screw it - let 'em look like the twits they are.

And another message for the masses - that little rectangular tag casually and loosely stitched onto the sleeve of your winter coat that says 'cashmere' or 'wool' is supposed to be removed before wearing.

God that felt SO GOOD to say.

Anonymous said...

I am all for ripping it out for them, particularly if they look like the type to start crying.

Anonymous said...

Man, you people are fiesty. I wish I had the nerve!

And, no, VIcki...but it sounds like these girls would support you ripping one off of a girl in town.

Anonymous said...

HATE. That drives me nuts, too.

Women do it with the kick pleat in pencil skirts, too!

Anonymous said...

I can't stand that! I also hate it when both and men and wmone keep the designer label that is so dilicately stiched to the outsie of their cashmere coat...it is meant to be removed and not be a walking advertisement. Add another per pieve to the list!
~ Jill

Anonymous said...

P.S. The vino has made me make some pretty bad typos!