
Outside at lunch today, I overheard several groups of The Bucket Boys arguing vehemently as they walked south. Heads were hanging low, empty buckets hanging lower, jeans barely hanging on.
Apparently, they had been "relocated" by the Chicago Police, and were disagreeing about which group "owned" which corner. I heard one guy shout, peppered with some expletives that I'm too polite to reprint here, "The Erie corner is ours, buddy! You get the Loop, south of the River! We get the Michigan Avenue parts!"
It seemed like an urban parody of gang warfare and territory battles, which isn't a laughing matter here in Chicago. Or, a Bucket Boys satire of "West Side Story."
Sounds like they need a real estate agent, or a negotiator at least.
And, a handful of belts.

3 comments:
The thing is, they have the damndest knack for setting up shop in the most congested areas, and the tourists in our fair city just STOP.
And watch.
In the middle of the sidewalk on Michigan Avenue.
At the entrance to the Subway station on State and Lake.
My sympathy for their plight is somewhat limited, considering how many times I have found myself trying to weave, push, shove, and barrel through the crowd of bovine-human hybrids watching them with mouths agape and cameras poised.
I always liked the bucket boys. I'd rather having them congesting the downtown streets than staying out on the streets ind potentially getting into much more deadly altercations. That being said, anyone who stops in the middle of the street for any reason should be immediately beaten. If you want to watch there are plenty of places that won't impede traffic.
I say more power to them. At least they are working to earn their "wages." It beats shaking a McDonalds (or Chick-Fil-a...) cup at you.
And I love anything with a beat! I think I got that from the Big Man...
Bang on, Bucket Boys. I too stood in front of the Art Institute and watched you!
Post a Comment