Friday, January 11, 2008

Easy Target

It doesn't take much to put a smile on my face.

I was at Starbucks this morning, and a girl complimented my new boots. I mean, she wanted to chat about them. In depth.

Admittedly, this is the first time wearing them and I like them too, but the real story is this:

I know that women dress for other women. Period.

We choose our outfits based on our environment, and if women are around, we know that the choices will be recognized.

That's probably why the compliment made me smile. It was like an acknowledgement of the obvious—new boots are not going to be noticed by men, but women will see them, and make a remark. Strangers, even. I work in a very female-dominated, creatively artistic, casual and funky environment. And, they kindly notice.

It isn't going without my notice that this is my third post in so many weeks about boots.

Am I that shallow?

I prefer to think that it is just that people have been behaving themselves on public transportation, rendering me utterly blank, without issues to report, or stories to tell, or people to hate.

Or, maybe I just like new shoes.

(And, speaking of shoes, does anyone notice how the Google ads hilariously shift content to match what I write about? Yesterday they were all about politics because of my lame reference to Obama. Today they are shoe ads. I find this funny, even though I know this is the entire Google ad business model).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the question in my mind is -- if women dress for other women, what do guys do to impress other guys?

Hmmmm.

I'm primarily thinking STRAIGHT guys here, a species of which I know little.

Anonymous said...

I think these actions involve more bodily functions. And, sports scores. Or scores of any kind...

Anonymous said...

OMG! It's red7eric!

anyway, i loved the boots and may i say again that you've been looking EXTREMELY tough these days.

Anonymous said...

I am certain that you are making up for the time when we were travelling and got caught in a snow storm... you were three... I put bread bags over your shoes as temporary boots! Quite the fashion statement.