Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

This gives new meaning to bringing a brand to life. And, I must credit Kristen for bringing this article to my attention.

IKEA, the Swedish company known for its cheap, put-it-together-yourself furniture and funky styles of art and housewares is letting a comedian live in its 700 square foot display room while his NYC apartment is fumigated for cockroaches.

Apparently it is being documented for his website. He claims it has more living space than his regular apartment, which given New York's real estate situation, I don't doubt. But, the sinks and toilets (or TVs, for that matter) don't function, causing him to need to use the staff faciltities.

Oddly, his wife isn't too keen on the idea, and chose to stay elsewhere.

I can hear that conversation now.

"Honey, seriously, let's move into the IKEA store in the 'burbs for a week. It'll be an adventure!" The audible rolling of eyes matched with the angry sigh and the slam of the bedroom door.

I'm sure she wasn't thrilled with the thought of having strangers traipse through her bedroom.

However, I personally think that's one way to meet new people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of new york apartments, whenever i think about that, i am glad i moved back to chicago. and this story is funny btw.

Anonymous said...

There's a huge selection of kitchen sinks available in all styles and materials. Take a look and I hope this helps people out!