Since my brain is a tad bit mushy today, I figured I'd take the lead of Sass Attack and just post about Four Things.The four things in the title of this post are how I'm feeling today. Sore is from yesterday's charity walk, exhausted is from the entire weekend of festivities, ready is for my trip to Costa Rica, and proud is for the new account we just won at work. Mush brain is partly attributed to the celebratory champagne.
Now, on to the subject at hand:
Four Things I did ten years ago (1998):
1. Pulled a "Jerry McGuire" when my boss at the summer advertising internship up and quit 2 weeks into my gig, and took me with him. We started a tiny sports marketing agency where I proceeded to help him plan, market, promote, host and manage the Atlanta stop on the Nuveen Tour, a tennis tournament for the senior men's circuit. I met Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe, and in a moment of total weakness and embarrassment that will live on forever, almost gave Connors a case of non-alcoholic beer to celebrate his tournament victory. Needless to say, at 21 years old, I wasn't that savvy with the drinking just yet. McEnroe had a field day with that one.
2. Attended my final season of University of Georgia football games as a student in Sanford Stadium. Looking back, we didn't even know how good we had it when the student tickets were $5.
3. Planned a European backpacking trip for the month after graduation.
4. Got my first real job at The Atlanta Hawks where I would begin work the day after I graduated. It was the inaugural year at Philips Arena, and I got to wear a hard hat a lot as I toured the season ticket holders through the construction site. It SOUNDS much more glamorous than it was, I assure you.
Four Things I did 5 years ago (2003):
1. Worked my first full year in healthcare at a firm dedicated to the subject, and learned all sorts of things about renal care, hospitals and how difficult it is to work a photo shoot inside a hospital and make a MRI machine look "cool."
2. Enjoyed living in my first brownstone apartment here in Chicago with my lovely roommate Jill. Great memories, fabulous backyard (thanks to Jill!), fun parties and a terrible landlord.
3. Realized I could pull off an impromptu speaking engagement to a large group of professionals who were much older, wiser and more confident than I. Thrown into the mix, I survived, and loved the rush. Shook the whole drive back to Chicago from Milwaukee, but was proud of myself.
4. Had a poem published in a creative journal. It was about being stuck in a quarter-life state of confusion, and the entire collection had to answer the question, "What's for dinner?" How 'bout that for a thought starter? Mine was called "The Reality Buffet." I am pretty sure the journal only sold 34 copies, and that includes the 3 I bought. But it felt good.
Four Things I did yesterday:
1. Walked 5 miles in the American Cancer Society's Walk & Roll; took amazing photos of the skyline, lake and the spring flowers in Grant Park as we went. Yeah, we were not really in the speed walker division.
2. Experienced bathroom envy as I showered at a friend's house—she has a really amazing wide tub and I was jealous.
3. Destroyed a plateful of chips and garlic dip at Katie and Jess' BBQ. Oh, and a few beers, too. Which may explain why I tackled my friend Laura in the long spring grass.
4. Competed, but did not win, in the "nut toss" game, which sounds far dirtier than it actually is. A version of the "corn-hole game" that is popular in the Midwest, this one involved a wooden box, round metal discs, and a hole in the center. One point for in the box, two for in the hole. It was a riot, and I wasn't too terrible.
Four TV shows I love to watch:
1. The Office. I love Jim Halpert, and his "at camera" faces are classic. My favorite episode has to be "Conflict Resolution" in season 2 (I think?) where he tortures Dwight and gets in trouble with HR for his antics.
2. Brothers & Sisters. I'm a sap, and it is a great cast with a complicated, interesting storyline. However, if I spent that much time at my mother's house, at that age, I'd be worried.
3. American Idol. Don't judge. It's addictive.
4. Divine Design. See #3. Also addictive. Candice Olsen is a genius. They also don't discuss budget, which makes me think that her design budgets are through the roof.
Four Things I love to do:
1. Write. Obviously.
2. Travel. 12 days until Costa Rica!
3. Plan things. I like to get people together. I enjoy hosting, but almost enjoy the process of bringing groups together even more than the whole "cut up food and serve drinks" thing.
4. Take photos, and share them. It goes with the above, but I do enjoy a great photograph, capturing a moment in time. I still print the best ones and file them in chronological photo albums. Hide your surprise.
That's it FOUR now.
(Jenny: I'm sorry for the not-so-funny-punny ending).

2 comments:
Jim Halpert is every woman's dream. Wasn't the season finale perfect?
There is something SO empowering about knocking a presentation out of the park, impromptu or not. And go you for doing such a long friggin walk. Geesh. No wonder you're sore!
Post a Comment