
As you may already know, today is Jill and Josh's wedding day. We are on Mackinac Island, and don't worry, I pre-wrote and pre-published this post. I'm not holed up in a hotel somewhere in the Upper Peninsula writing this...I plan ahead.
When they asked me to be a part of their wedding, I immediately knew that a toast would be involved. I’m a tad of a sap and therefore knew I needed to put it down on paper for fear of getting too emotional and forgetting all the nice things I wanted to say.
But, when it came time to actually write the words to express my congratulations for the happy couple, I realized it was simple.
It all comes down to just three words.
Three words that change as our lives do, three words with varying meanings, three words that grow and bloom as we mature, three words that will last forever, from this day forward.
In the beginning, it was “Hi, I’m Jill.” as we formed a friendship that would last for a lifetime.

After our introductory two years in Chicago, it was “Let’s move again.” as we continued on as roommates and ‘better halves’ for five years.
Not long after, it was “I met someone!” as Jill celebrated the joys of a new romance.
Proudly, Jill announced, “This is Josh.” as he moved to Chicago and became a part of the life we’d formed in the city.

Then it was, “I love him.” as things with Josh got more serious, and their relationship grew into something special.
Last July, it was “We’re getting married!” as the promise, and the ring, sparkled in the sunshine and they took the first steps towards becoming husband and wife.
Put simply, three words to describe Jill are kind, spirited and thoughtful. The same can be said about Josh, and I gladly hand over my better half to him.
(To be fair, though, I’d probably have to admit she’s really only my ‘better one third’ because of our significant differences in height).
Jill and Josh, I toast the beginning of your life together with three more words:
Congratulations, my friends.

2 comments:
That was so sweet. I'm a little touched.
I don't even know them and I'm crying. Congratulations to the happy couple...and congrats to you, Colleen, on having a friendship that's obviously so special to you.
Post a Comment