Why do those "Children International" people always hit me up? I tell myself it is because I am approachable, and seem friendly. More likely, I look like a sucker.
Alas, I try to walk fast, look straight down, and not make eye contact. Hell, half the time I even have my phone in my hand pretending to read a very important email.
But, no.
They still say, religiously, in their chipper voices, "Do you have a minute for children?" forcing me to reply, "Uh, no, sorry."
I don't have a minute for children.
Well, when you put it that way, I just sound like an evil wretched human being.
Of course if a small child were on the sidewalk, in need, I would help. I would dive into action, trying to do anything I could to save the little tyke. Probably while cooing and uttering comforting, kind words to them so they wouldn't be scared. (That sounds creepy, but I assure you I'm good with kids).
But, when I am forced to say yes or no to the leafletters on the sidewalk, I come off like a witch. (See Monica's blog "Ramblings of a Crazy" for more on this subject.)
Nope. No time for cute kids today. I'm selfish that way. Now move over.

3 comments:
No time for children, huh? It is a good thing. Mumsie and Big Man prefer that we get married first.
"do you have a minute for the environment?" no
"do you have a minute for children" no
"are you a writer? are you an artist? have you accepted jesus christ as your personal savior? who does your hair? i'm running for alderman..." AUGHHHHHH!
and lately they've started doing dances on the sidewalk to get your attention and will be lined up several feet away from each other all down the block.
At least it is not as bad as those people at the carts in the mall that want to straighten, curl or add fake hair to my current choice of hairstyle while I am shopping. I DID actually fix my hair before I left the house.
Post a Comment