Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sugar and Spice


Is it possible to unconditionally love a little girl that I've only met once?

My cousin has a daughter who is almost 3 now, and I just melt every time she sends photos out. Don't worry—she's not that kind of mother who sends unnecessarily large albums of her daughter's every move. Nope, just the few handpicked gems that are bound to make the family smile.

Her eyes twinkle, her cheeks are round and just the right level of chubby, and her blonde pigtails almost bounce right off the screen. I swear I can hear her giggles when I browse the photos. Each one is captioned related to the activity, or her outfit, so they range from "Easter Egg Hunt" to "Strawberries and Ice Cream."

How can that NOT immediately lighten my day?

I know now what my mom meant when she said that when my sister and I were little, she could just chew on our cheeks. Sometimes that's the only way to express just how cute a little one is.

I think if she did that in real life, the mother would have her carted off to the nearest looney bin, but I get it, mom.

*The above is an photo canvas piece I made for my cousin for baby's first Christmas. An artsy perspective, but seriously, LOOK at that face!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I refer to 95% of the babies in this world as birth control. Snotty noses, alien shaped heads and piercing shrill screams - ugh. But those who comprise the remaining 5% make me want to get knocked up and soon. She's definitely NOT birth control.

PS: The breakfast room table was an old farmhouse counter thingy that already had scratches so I was permitted to play on it. The period piece English table in the dining room had a forcefield to keep me at least four feet away at all times.

Anonymous said...

So, I have not even met this amazing family gem, but I do know that she is the most adorable child I have ever seen!

I can't wait to get to know her soon...