
When you plan to have people over, whether it is 4 people or 40, it makes you look around your home and assess it through the eyes of the visitor.
I have lived in my condo for almost 3 years and I love to entertain. Now, don't go getting any grand ideas about fancy dinner parties for 12 where the table looks like Martha Stewart laid it out and is now hiding in the closet. I don't have a table that big, or a closet that roomy for that matter.
More often, it is just a handful of friends, stopping in to have a drink, toast the season, play a board game or watch sports on TV, or simply to swap stories and laugh about life in general. All in all, low-key entertaining is my bag. I love the notion of having people into my space, and expect that they will want the "tour" and kindly "judge" my choices. All of which is expected, and just fine with me.
Tomorrow, Brett will be bringing his parents by after the Cubs game, due to my ridiculously convenient location near Wrigley Field (I know, it is as awesome as you think) and I genuinely want the place to look "just so." And, I'm having an impromptu gathering at my place (either inside if it rains, or on the roof-deck if it is nice) tomorrow night, so it is a double whammy. Most of my friends have seen my place, but not all of them.
And, it is truly MY place. I found a realtor on my own, used my friend the mortgage broker, hired a lawyer on my own, bought it on my own and love it all so much more for that accomplishment. BUT, I must say, that the love I have for this place is magnified, exemplified and multiplied by the fact that the place was in total and terrible disarray when I first wrote the offer.
It was owned by a woman who was 104 when she died, and she was wheelchair bound and hadn't updated the unit in about, oh, 40 years. The rotary telephone on the kitchen wall was dated 1965 on the back. She had brown vinyl flooring, a pink stovetop, a brown fridge, metal cabinets with wood veneer stickers, furry vinyl dining room flooring and western-movie-style-wooden-swinging-doors in/out of the kitchen. The light fixtures were brass and from 1973, and the furniture was old enough to be ugly, but not old enough to be valluable. It was really hard to see past all of it.
But, I, for one, can see the potential in a place. It was huge for a one-bedroom, and had knee-to-ceiling windows on the entire north side that featured spectacular views of the Western sky and the Eastern view over the lake.
I also happen to have super handy parents who were kind and generous enough to help guide, steer and help me through the renovation. To put it mildly, we painted every surface that wasn't carpet, ripped out every cabinet there was, detached every light fixture from its place (minus one, story to come) and refinished the floors in 3 out of 4 rooms. All 1,000 square feet are just the way I had hoped they'd be, at least in design. After much blood, sweat and beers, mind you.
Just feeling that way makes you more protective of your space, and how people will view it. And, quite frankly, the love affair with the place is starting to move past the honeymoon phase and into the reality of the relationship, where you notice the flaws, cracks and otherwise dings in the overall loveliness of the facade you once treasured.
However, I mustn't point those out to visitors, right?
They shouldn't know that the bathtub leaks and the incessant drip is wearing off the epoxy tub and tile paint job that my mother and I so painstakingly mixed (a true science experiment, that one) and painted until we were almost choking on fumes, right?
They couldn't possibly notice how the tiny bathroom isn't vented properly, and therefore, every shower that is taken in its presence causes the walls to sweat, right?
They won't ever be keen to the fact that the hot water in the kitchen runs at a pressure about 1/10th of what it should, making washing dishes very challenging, right?
They won't see that the carpet is flattened out in certain places from the previous owner's wheelchair, and that I haven't yet felt like up-ending my life to replace it, right?
Yeah. They will never be the wiser. However, I am, and it makes me judge and view my place with a harsher lens than others do.
Most days, though, the crystal chandelier in the dining room—the one fixture we left in tact—catches the sun coming in from the west as it sets over Wrigley Field and I'm just happy as a clam. The blue of the water of Lake Michigan over the green of the grass of Waveland Park reflect so perfectly against the khaki hues in which I've chosen to wash my walls, leaving the viewer in awe of nature's color palette.
And, given the fact that the renovation was completed in a mere 5 days (due to delayed closings and all other sorts of stressfu, horrible, terrible, frustrating situations that were far beyond my control) with all of my belongings in the center under a tarp and new and old cabinets serving as dining tables as we (once again) ate pizza out of boxes while paint dried in our hair and the beer was not even cold because the fridge was in the living room and the sink had no faucet and the counter had no granite yet and the bathroom only worked when the epoxy paint had dried...I'd say we did ok.
Yeah. No one needs to know all of that. But, I can show you a few before and afters, in an homage to my fearless renovating parents, and my sister's loving touches, and my own strength of character (and volume of voice in a stressful tirade, as it turned out).




As Brett's kind parents and a handful of close Chicago friends come over tomorrow, I will serve as a gracious host, and will absolutely NOT point out the flaws of the place. As with any good relationship, I respect my place too much to air our grievances in public.
In Home Depot, though? That's another story.

5 comments:
Wow your place looks great. You did a great job updating and it modernizing it. Crazy. So jealous. i still rent but one day I hope to own.
Ok, so each time I see those photos I can't believe how horribly ugly it was BEFORE the Snell's hit the town. What a week that was for you and Mom & Big Man and the longest "weekend trip" ever for me. There is something wrong when your parents are sleeping on a blow-up bed in the dining room while the "kids" are snoozing in the bedroom! Whew. I can't believe that was 3 years ago.
Your place is lovely and you should just relax and enjoy it, as your friends and Brett's fabulous parents will love it, just as you do.
Wish I could be there!
First, you are amazing to have seen the potential in that place. Wow, what a transformation! I've now bought two condos in my lifetime and both have been turnkey - ready for move in.
Second, I totally echo your thoughts on all the small things that are wrong with a home. Every home has them. And funny enough, they are the things we probably overlooked when we were considering to buy it. It's the kind of things your friends will never notice, unless you point them out. So, let them live in the beauty and don't worry about the kinks!
Your's is the smallest home I have ever worked in, and the largest is 17,000 sq. ft. And they all have the same secret issues. Just enjoy your lovely home. I was certainly memorable getting it that way.
Wow! Seriously....WOW! Absolutely perfect in every way. Views of the lake and Wrigley, elegant furnishings, pictures of everyone important in your life, just the right background music, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower[s], and real southern sweet tea! PERFECT! Truly perfect!
Post a Comment