
My friend Carey just came into my office to tell me a weird story. And weird it is.
She met a girl, let's call her Tammy, at a social event last summer. They hit it off, and have kept in touch, but mostly by way of Tammy sending out newsletters and emails regarding her work, which happens to be real estate.
Tammy sent Carey an email out of the blue this week and it requested Carey's mailing address. It said, "Please send me your address...I'm pregnant and want to send you the announcement!"
Carey obliged, and sent the required polite "Congratulations" email back to Tammy. It must be noted that Tammy is a single woman in her late 30s that was not in a relationship. I won't judge, and clearly the woman was excited about her impending motherhood, so good for her. They are barely friends - acquaintences at the very most, so it was a bit odd, but we'll let that go. People get excited about their own news.
It was only after Carey received the email back from Tammy that said, "Thanks for sending me your address, and for the well wishes. I was only joking - don't hate me for it. But, it did get my phone ringing and filled up my inbox!"
I have a serious problem with this conniving tactic. The woman is an independent sales person, and building a database is a huge part of her success. But to use a personal ploy, comprised of a huge lie, is so underhanded, so manipulating, and frankly, so tacky, that I couldn't help but react with my jaw agape. Carey felt the same way.
I told her to throw that Mama from the train.

7 comments:
If you want to be a successful sales person, the last thing you do iss BLATANTLY manipulate your network. wtf?
And advertisers have bad public trust scores.
Word to the bro's out there... stay away from Tammy - or wear a raincoat or two.
I don't even know what to say to that. What kind of mind comes up with that? Borderline personality, much? :) Thanks for your note, Colleen. But I don't see me on your blog roll :( *sob* Don't make such promises, woman! :) Hinsley
It's called crazy and there's medication for it.
PS: Thanks for the link!
And that's how Spammers operate.
I can't imagine the tactics she uses to get guys to call her back after the first date!
you hit the nail on the head with "tacky".
:)
Wow, that is incredibly crazy. I hope she loses tons of potential clients from it.
Post a Comment