Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Singing the Blues


Last night, Brett* and I were watching American Idol. It's my guilty pleasure, and I'm dragging him into it full speed ahead.

I don't hear him complaining.

In fact, we got into a healthy discussion about what this contest, or similar types of reality-TV based talent shows, are doing one of two things to American music culture:
  • They are creating a culture of "instant stars" who wouldn't normally have been famous, haven't earned it and probably aren't ready for the success, and they sell albums and make record producers happy and rich, but they are just overproduced, slick pop stars with little to no true musical talent.

  • They are an example of mainstream cultural musical taste, and whether you like it or not, this is what the public is buying. Evidenced by the Billboard sales, music award shows and tour records, shows like American Idol seem to be generating a product which America wants, and therefore, proves the artist in question is "talented."
We debated, and it was clear that both things are true.

The reality-TV atmosphere, and the "fan voting" and the sugary-pop nature of the artists churned out by American Idol isn't necessarily a barometer of long-lasting, historically relevant musical talent. However, you'd be hard pressed to argue against the success (and dare I say skills) of artists like Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry and Carrie Underwood. All three have had a few great years, and their bank accounts and fireplace mantles are better for it.

The true comment thread during last night's Hollywood show—for me at least—was the blue tongue syndrome. Each contestant came out to audition, sang their lungs out (for better or worse) and showed the audience (millions of Fox viewers as well as the three cranky judges) their blue tongues.

We also had a few theories about this:
  • There was a huge bowl of blue Jolly Ranchers backstage and no one can resist a good Jolly Rancher.

  • There is a new brand of throat lozenges for singers that is tinted a lovely shade of cyan.

  • A sneaky production assistant doused the craft services table with invisible-to-the-naked-eye powdered blue food coloring.

  • American Idol is a cult and they gave them all blue Kool-aid backstage to make it all hazy and interesting, and to ensure that no one leaks Paula's real addictions to the press.
But, seriously. Didn't these kids look in the mirror? Or, more precisely, didn't it occur to someone at Fox that this would undoubtedly look strange on television?

It gave me the blues.

Or maybe that was just the TERRIBLE performance by the southern pageant queen and the even WORSE argument she got in with Paula to give her another chance. In that whiny "I'm pretty and used to getting what I want so give it to me now!" voice that makes my skin crawl.

Sing your way to the door, babe. Don't let it knock off your tiara as you leave.


*This is Brett's first mention by name. And, a sneaky test to see if he's reading this. More likely, his mother will read it first, and will mention it to him, and he'll come to me in protest. She's already a fan, or so I hear. Pass the blue blog Kool-aid, please.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pageant BEEE-OTCH was a Gator. She got what she deserved. You can't wear jean shorts without falling into Karmic debt... karma caught up with her.

Go DAWGS!

My Guess the Blue stuff was performance enhancing tonsil-roids.

Anonymous said...

Mark, I knew you were someone I'd get along with. Not only did you watch the show (obviously) but you somehow managed to throw in a Jorts reference and a Go Dawgs!

Why aren't you in Daytona?

Anonymous said...

the blue tongue thing is normal. Simon wears edible underduddies.

Or there is one lucky smurf out there!!

Anonymous said...

I saw Simon Cowell relaxing at a bar in the south of Spain last June...I think he was wearing the same outfit (i.e. tight shirt) that he wears on the show. I have watched Australian Idol and Idol (the Swedish version doesn't mention their country's name) and I must say that I think there is more talent in the American version. However, America also has at least ten times more people so that would make sense. I wonder how many years this show will go on for...Melissa

Anonymous said...

oh wow... i hardly ever watch but i did the other night and i totally noticed the blue tongues and also tried to guess the story behind that.

um, have you noticed that "idol voice" is now the default style of singing to prove to people (usually unsuccessfully) that you can sing? cant stop hearing marginally talented people shrill and do vocal acrobatics through musical standards. i do enjoy the show though :)

Anonymous said...

We almost considered watching during the Sanjaya debacle, but then he was voted out, so we never did watch.