Monday, February 18, 2008

Not Just a River in Egypt


Every year, about this time, it happens to me.

I start planning vacations.

I think it has something to do with the fact that there is a little minus sign in front of our daily temperatures, and I actually forget what sunshine on my shoulders feels like. The freckles from last year are still there, and they sadly stand out far more on white Irish winter skin than I'd like. They're begging for more friends. Get in the sun, woman!

So...I have officially booked a trip to Los Angeles for the weekend of March 1st, and that can't come soon enough. But, frankly, the upper 60s, while a huge departure from our weather, aren't quite the daily highs I'm after.

Therefore, and quite proudly, I have agreed to go to Costa Rica for the first week of the summer. I know, I know. It should have been an easy decision. The flights just dropped in price drastically from the ones in November when I was looking before, and now they are more than affordable. So, I pulled the trigger. The trip isn't until May 31, but will mean a whole 7 days in a tropical paradise, surrounded by my best friends from elementary school and their husbands. I can hardly wait.

I think that this vacation urge comes from several places: one part denial that winter is really this long in Chicago, one part needing something to look forward to, one part giving myself a reason to get out of bed each of these dreary days. And, who am I kidding, an excuse to buy guidebooks (I'm a dork), more bathing suits (ugh) and a few choice "vacation-wear" sundresses and sunglasses (woohoo!).

And, anyone who knows me would also tell me that they think I just like having something to plan. Some reason to put huge red marker Xs on my calendar. For a whole amazing long week. Yes, I actually do pull out the Sharpie and go to town. Try it—it feels fantastic.

After my girls vacation to Mexico last November, we all vowed to treat ourselves each year.

Give those freckles some friends. And now I'm doing it.

Figured I'd share the love and post some photos of the house we'll be staying in while visiting Costa Rica. Not too shabby!








I know. I'm cruel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome is that? Have a blast!

Anonymous said...

bring me back a monkey (haha)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Costa Rica! Can't Wait.

Anonymous said...

For those of you who are curious, the deleted comment was SPAM. Not the lunch meat, mind you.