Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Confidence, then Panic

Someone asked me for directions to RL tonight. RL is the signature restaurant by Ralph Lauren that I've never been to, but have heard the food is good. I assume it is located near the Ralph Lauren clothing store, on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Chicago Avenue, but that was just a guess. An educated one, but still a guess.

So this guy turns to me on the bus and asks how to find the place. I immediately begin to tell him which stop to get off at (Superior) and to walk north one block, to cross the street, and to look for the restaurant on the corner. I think he was actually listening (which is good, since half the time people don't) and I have a pretty high level of confidence that he found it.

But then he got off the bus and began his Colleen-directed trek. That's when the panic set in.

What if I was mistaken? Did I send him to the wrong restaurant? Is he going to wander the streets of Chicago aimlessly? Probably not, but that cold fear struck me as he left the bus.

It happens every time someone asks me for directions. I love to help, and am happy to send them on their merry way, but then I stand there questioning my knowledge of the streets, addresses or landmarks.

Oh well. If anyone sees that guy still walking around looking for RL, please point him in the right direction. Send him towards the khaki pants, at the very least. He'll find the cafe from there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have confidence in your direction-giving skills! You have mastered Chicago's streets! Everytime I am there you know where EVERYTHING is!

In ATL, however, you can't seem to remember anything! I blame it on your old age since you moved. Oh. That was mean.

At least you are not my friend Erik who has been to my house at LEAST 50 times and calls EVERYtime for a refresher.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I've done that. And realized without a doubt that there was an error in my directions. But man, I sure was convinced when I originally relayed them that a right at the SECOND light was correct.

Anonymous said...

I think you gave him the right directions