Friday, March 28, 2008

The Pick Up (Make Up) Artist


I was in Cosi yesterday at lunchtime, and had just enjoyed a nice meal by myself, accompanied only by my new hardcover book of choice. All but lost in the novel, I scarcely looked around at the other patrons in the restaurant.

Realizing that I had less than 15 minutes left to finish up, get back to my office and prepare for my 1 pm meeting, I quickly abandoned the book and shoved it back into my new purse. Tossing my garbage in the bin, I was stopped by a woman about my age sitting alone at a table. She complimented my new bag, for which I thanked her, and started to walk on.

She was still seated, but proceeded to ask me where I got it (I hate that question, I consider it almost as rude as asking how much it was) and I told her, and then started to walk on.

Towering over her, as she was still sitting down, I really was trying to walk away but she continued to pepper me with more questions. Assaulting me with them, really. "Do you work around here?" "What do you do?" "What type of agency?" "How much do you weigh?" Okay, not that one, but come on.

Then she had the audacity (ignoring all social cues and the four times I'd taken steps away from her) to ask me for a card so she could follow up with me. About WHAT? My purse?

She tells me she works in "leadership development, especially for women, and would love to talk to me further about it." Uhm, maybe I'm just NOT a sales person, but that was the most awkward introduction/pitch I've ever heard. Mind you, when she asked for my card I lied and said I didn't have any on me, and then she whips out this little notepad and says, "Well then, can I have your email or something?"

I really should have just said "no thanks" and kept walking, but I just felt so taken off guard, and so ridiculously awkward still standing a good 4 feet above her head, and so I mumbled out my personal email address (that I can screen immediately) and started to walk away. She says, "What about your cell phone number?"

Hold up there, sister. I don't even readily give that out to people I meet that I ACTUALLY want to talk to, much less a total stranger that has still yet to even tell me her name and why she wants to know me, much less stand up and look me eye to eye.

I declined and scurried out as soon as I could, to her promising after me, "I'll get in touch!"

And, I'll be screening your email.

Yes, she was a "women" consultant....she works for MARY KAY. (She did finally shove a card in my hand, one of those annoying slick shiny tacky ones with eye shadow samples booger-glued to the back).

I mean, come on. I know that I have the luxury (by choice) to not need to generate new business leads by stalking strangers in public places, but that was seriously awkward. And, she used such a cheesy pick up line to reel me in.

After dating for about 15 years, I should have seen her type coming. Pity the fool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any person who works in sales has been told this: You only need one person to say yes. So unfortunately, the entire world is on the receiving end of this theory.

But Mary Kay? Really? When I was twelve I upgraded from Bonnie Bell to Laura Mercier and haven't looked back since.

But more importantly, where did you get the damn bag???

Anonymous said...

That sales technique that Mary Kay corporate encourages is confusing to me. It's been a few years (and 20lbs, that might explain it) but I used to get approached by their sales reps in the mall. It was always weird and awkward and started with a stranger telling you how "well put together you look!".

Thank goodness Arbonne, Southern Living, Passion Parties, Pampered Chef and every other similar business don't encourage the same sales techniques.

Anonymous said...

Oh, painful. Did you see her leave in her pink Cadillac? Actually, judging by her methods, I'm guessing she hasn't yet qualified for the car. She probably rode away on a pink bicycle looking for more fresh meat.