
We got talking at work today, during one of our free lunch learning meetings, about how funny lunch meat is. Either you love it or you hate it. Some like only certain meats, and others won't touch the stuff.
That led us to the conversation about what we took for school bagged lunches growing up.
I, for one, wasn't a fan of sandwiches, even when my Mom tried lovingly to recreate a "Subway sandwich" by putting ham and cheese and the fixins—including oil and vinegar—on a hoagie. I wasn't fooled. Then she tried the toasted approach. Not gonna do it. I wasn't even a huge supporter or PB&Js, the childhood staple, or cheese sandwiches, which given the chatter today, were a crowd pleaser.
So, inevitably, I ate a bagel with cream cheese (plain, not toasted) every day from 6th grade through 12th grade. Some girl at work ate a ketchup sandwich, some guy liked cream cheese and jelly on Wonder Bread, another guy devoured peanut butter and bananas, and there were a few honey-lovers in the mix.
Overall, the lunch sandwich discussion was funny.
And then I dropped the bomb that my Mom used to grill us SPAM sandwiches, on toasted bread. Yes, SPAM. The room got silent. I dropped my head in shame. Then decided to own my SPAM-loving history.
I remember liking them! The smell filled the house, and I can still recall helping my mom with the rolling-back metal lid with the little key, which I found totally cool.
The best part is this—as an adult I am totally and completely grossed out by the concept of processed or congealed meat—like bologna. I even heard that at the factory, bologna is in a tube of liquid meat, and then someone puts the pimentos in there by HAND. That is so gross I can't even comment. Another chat on this subject of mystery meat revealed that in Greek restaurants, the gyros are made from that congealed/processed form of meat that is often lamb, or pork, or a little of both. GROSS.
However, I'm known to eat a great Kosher hot dog at the ballpark during the summer, so what's the difference, right? No one knows quite what is in a hot dog, and it is a close cousin to bologna anyway. I'm fooling myself by adding the grilled onions. And, the 5 draft beers. That usually does the trick.
Frankly, the only SPAM in my life now comes into my inbox, offering me a larger penius, Viagra, or some other totally useful product such as those.
Especially for a woman.

7 comments:
Sisters who loved SPAM! I too enjoyed those toasted wonders of the world. Actually I took a Marketing class at UGA where the professor wore a SPAM t-shirt over his button down everyday and always used SPAM in his marketing examples. It made you giggle everytime, for nearly 3 months. What could be better at 8:50am? Yes, I did not follow the previous post rules about early AM classes... Go SPAM!
I am astounded. I NEVER knew that the Snell's ate SPAM. I am honestly speechless. And we all know that doesn't happen often.
PS. I like bologna and hot dogs, but would NEVER consider eating such a thing as SPAM. To think that I would have to refuse a "gourmet" meal at the Snell table. At that little oak table with the carved chairs so nicely placed in the home on Winters Hill Drive??? Oh, the shame. Wait. Is that street even right? I think I just made that up. I maybe just had the longest PS on record...
spam???? i've never lived in a house where there was spam. i never would have pegged you for a spammy either. mmmm cream cheese and jelly. mmmm. i've never had wonder bread though. oh yeah, cream cheese and honey. mmmmmm
Jenny - Winters Hill Drive it was! Great memory. You weren't invited over for SPAM nights, aparently. Just the "confidence/shopping cart" lessons. :)
Why was your mom making your lunch in HS. You lazy sack of. . . .
Because she liked making our lunches! She did it while we ate breakfast and it gave her time to talk to us. So there.
Your mom actually *liked* spending time with you in HS? I guess mine did too. If you count using angry, loud words as quality time.
I think it's funny that, in my earlier comment I was all, I'm speechless, and in the same breath I wrote (and pointed out that I wrote) the "longest PS on record." How you y'all even tolerate that garbage?
Post a Comment